Monday, June 21, 2010

Unobtainium Obtained

Unobtainium (also spelled unobtanium) is any extremely rare, costly, or physically impossible material, or (less commonly) device needed to fulfill a given design for a given application. (From Wikipedia)

It seems to me that the key to this concept is that it's impossible. It's oxymoronic in its own definition. Like, more difficult to grasp than
winning the lottery, since all you have to do to have a chance is to buy a lottery ticket, however remote your chances. Whereas the concept of unobtainium rests on the premise that it's an impossibility in our current state of reality. Its value cannot be measured since it doesn't respond to normal market forces (even the unusual laws of the black market) since it cannot exist. (I mean, how much does it cost to stable a unicorn?) Therefore, it's not about whether you have the means to buy/trade for it, instead, it's about changing the reality to which you are accustomed in order for it to not longer be unobtainium.

Even though I saw Avatar leagues after everyone else (and what I thought about the movie is a whole other matter), I find the concept of "unobtainium" fascinating because I fee like several people in my life, including myself, have recently found their unobtainium.
For something like two years, the chef-ex and I had looked for a blue apron for him (for those of you unfamiliar with The French Laundry, they wear signature blue aprons in the kitchen). We even bought something that looked like it might be the right thing but turned out to be the wrong color, length, etc. For something that seemed as simple as a freakin' blue apron, it was impossible to find. Well... (trumpets please) he recently landed a job at The Laundry. For those of us in the culinary world, we all know how dreamy and impossible that is. It's not like he's not talented enough, or wouldn't do a great job there, it's just that...it's THE FRENCH LAUNDRY! More importantly, for him, it was beyond the impossible dream, it was something that he didn't think about because it wasn't really within his concept of reality. Granted the whole stage process sounded super intense and although he's certainly qualified, he was only able to get the job because he applied. And he only applied because he was able to change his perspective. You're right Albert, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

I'm not saying that anything is possible for anyone; I am a yogi, not a moron. I'm just saying that we don't really know what's possible until we imagine that it is. I bet we'd all be surprised by the result.

Like personally, I want some superpowers. And as I'm writing this, I'm imagining that it's possible (maybe I need to cook up something radioactive- it worked for Spiderman, The Hulk, Daredevil, etc.). I'm probably not going to try to run through walls any time soon. But maybe I'll try for an easier one, like levitating. I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments: